No results can be found
Showing results for:
By Owen Krucoff
Boyds, Md., (7/31/19) – Spirit midfielder Rose Lavelle is among 12 nominees for The Best FIFA Women’s Player, an annual award given by FIFA to honor the top player in the world. A panel of women’s soccer experts selected the elite group, with the winner set to be revealed at The Best FIFA Football Awards on September 23 in Milan, Italy.
The award is based on achievements from May 25, 2018 to July 7, 2019. Lavelle burst onto the U.S. and world soccer scene during that period, scoring two goals and controlling the middle of the field as the U.S. women’s national team cruised to its fourth World Cup title. Lavelle earned the Bronze Ball award as the third-best player in the tournament.
Last fall, Lavelle scored three goals in the 2018 CONCACAF Women’s Championship, including the game-winning strike in the final victory over Canada. The U.S. breezed through the tournament to clinch its eighth continental title.
A panel of women’s soccer experts appointed by FIFA selected the 12 players for the award nomination. Lavelle is one of four Americans on the list, joining forwards Megan Rapinoe and Alex Morgan and midfielder Julie Ertz. Australian forward Sam Kerr, who plays for the Chicago Red Stars, is also on the list, making a total of five NWSL players.
A fan vote will carry 25% of the weight in determining the winner of the award, with national team captains, national team coaches and selected media making up the other 75%. Voting is available now on FIFA’s website, with the link included in the tweet below.
🚨 Here they are! 🚨#TheBest Women's Player nominees:
Voting NOW OPEN 👇https://t.co/t8x1884tdq
— FIFA Women's World Cup (@FIFAWWC) July 31, 2019
Voting is available until 6 p.m. ET on August 19. FIFA will announce three finalists for the award before the final event in Milan in September.
The next Spirit home match is on August 10 at the Maryland SoccerPlex against the Chicago Red Stars. Between Lavelle, Kerr and Ertz, a full quarter of The Best FIFA Women’s Player nominees list could be in action. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. ET. [TICKETS]