Finally! We can tell all of our great fans that after several months of work behind the scenes, we are indeed the group behind the now successful bid to join the upcoming professional women’s league here in the USA!
It took many months of work behind the scenes, work that started even before our amazing W-League season even ended with a 3rd place finish in Ottawa last July. There will be a lot of news coming out in the coming days and weeks with more details, but here are a few quick tidbits:
1. We will STILL have a W-League team as well. We LOVE the W-League, and look forward to winning the league in 2013!
2. We will be changing the team name. We LOVE D.C. United, but we need all the flexibility we can get in generating revenue to make this new professional league last once and for all. It’s been a great two years with United and the VW logo on our kits, and we leave those brands behind only with fond memories and the utmost appreciation. However, we owe it to everyone with a stake in the women’s game to keep all options on the table for sponsor and partner revenue.
Here is our official statement regarding the departure with the D.C. United brand:
“We very much appreciate all the effort put in by D.C. United to support the women’s team these past two years, as well as for their support of the women’s game in Washington for the past decade. Working with them was the best learning curve we could have had to prepare us to run a professional team of our own, as there is nothing but class, quality, and passion for the game in that organization top to bottom. While we need to go in a different direction for brand reasons, we expect to maintain close ties in continuing to work together for the good of the game at all levels.”
3. We will still be playing at the Maryland SoccerPlex.
4. Season tickets will go on sale next week, for a season expected to run from early April through late September with approximately 10 league home games (and likely some exhibitions).
5. We already have multiple committed sponsors totaling in the six-figures that will be announced in the coming weeks.
6. No, we have not firmed up which players from the US, Canadian, or Mexican National Teams will be coming to DC – but we have our wish list. Do you? Tell us below in the comments section!
7. We plan to make an announcement about the new team name next Wednesday, November 28 at Tysons Corner AMC Theaters. Why the movies? We’ve partnered with Soccerwire.com (owned by our GM, Chris Hummer and owner, Bill Lynch) to offer 175 free tickets to an early screening of the new major motion picture Playing for Keeps. You don’t have to attend the movie to come hear the announcement, but if you would like to… get your vouchers before they’re gone by going to https://www.gofobo.com/rsvp and enter code SWCOM9JK5
That’s all for now. We hope everyone will be ready to follow our new Twitter, Like our new Facebook, and all the rest. Until then, please keep watching here and our @dcuwomen Twitter.
And if you haven’t already, feel free to take our pro women’s soccer survey (see, that’s why we did that… )