Kansas City Current (9-5-6, 33 pts) vs Washington Spirit (3-7-10, 19 pts)
Sunday, September 25 at 5:00 p.m. EST
Children’s Mercy Park (Kansas City, Kan.)
Paramount+ (viewers in the United States), Twitch (international)
Get ready for this weekend’s match against Kansas City with some fast facts below:
- Sunday afternoon’s match represents the second and final leg of a two-match road trip for the Spirit. This match in Kansas City will also be Washington’s final away match of 2022. The side has one final home match next Saturday, October 1 at Audi Field.
- This will be Washington’s first match at Children’s Mercy Park. Kansas City NWSL, as the side was known in 2021, previously played its home matches at Legends Field.
- The Spirit can prevent the Current from clinching a playoff spot Sunday afternoon by taking a win if Angel City and North Carolina also win.
- Washington currently has ten draws in its 20 regular season matches. With one more tie this year, the Spirit will equal 2021 NJ/NY Gotham FC’s league-record 11 single-season draws.
- Defender Amber Brooks will be eligible Sunday afternoon for the first time since scoring a brace against San Diego on September 10. Brooks missed a match due to yellow card accumulation and another due to suspension.
- Midfielder Ashley Sanchez is tied for second-most assists in the league this season with five in 17 matches played.
- Reigning Golden Boot Ashley Hatch currently has the fifth-most goals scored across the NWSL during the 2022 regular season with nine. One more goal will tie her single-season career high of ten, set last season.
- Ashley Hatch is also tied for third-most penalty kick goals during the regular season with three. Hatch has connected on all three of her penalty kick attempts, scoring against North Carolina, San Diego and Angel City.
- Defender Sam Staab has maintained an ‘iron woman’ streak throughout the 2022 season, having played in all 1,800 possible minutes this regular season through 20 matches. Staab is one of just seven field players to hold an ‘iron woman’ streak at this point in the season.
- Forward Tinaya Alexander transferred from the Spirit to French club Montpellier HSC this week. Alexander played 162 minutes in nine appearances during the 2022 regular season with Washington.
- Spirit Homecoming
- Midfielder Dorian Bailey is originally from Mission, Kansas, approximately ten miles southeast of Children’s Mercy Park.
- Former Washingtonians
- Current goalkeeper Sydney Schneider was drafted by the Spirit with the 29th overall pick in the 2021 NWSL Draft. Schneider was part of Washington’s championship team last season.
- Current midfielder Chloe Logarzo played for the Spirit while on loan from Sydney FC in 2019. She scored one goal in 15 appearances for Washington that season.
The match will be broadcast on Paramount+ for fans in the United States and on Twitch for international viewers. Following the match, the Spirit will host a press conference with interim head coach Albertin Montoya and two players. Fans can stream the postgame presser via the Washington Spirit Twitch channel.